Saturday, January 5, 2008

Walls, connections, feedback

Walls, as a new topic.

Here's how "walls" got there: I wanted to see if there's been any commentary "out there" about a radio interview I did lately, so I went to look. Didn't find any, but found some mentions of me or quotes on other people's sites and blogs. I collected a few to put here, on the feedback page.

One of those had a very cool set of photos about The Great Wall of Target. I didn't save it, but the most powerful tool I've ever used, Google, found it for me again when I read something about a bass guitar line on a Rolling Stones song and remembered I hadn't posted to the topics blog for over a week.

I went to the list of topics Deb had recommended, and one was "walls," and so there it all came together!

3 comments:

Susan Harwood said...

Hello

My name is Susan Harwood.

I'm contacting people who list ‘unschooling’ as an interest on their 'blogger's profile'.

I have a new blog called

SHOUTING AT THE RADIO

It is concerned with the environment, building, architecture, politics and education.

It can be found at

http://shoutingattheradio.blogspot.com/

It is in its very early stages just yet - so comments will be especially welcome!

Yours sincerely

Susan Harwood

Sandra Dodd said...

http://shoutingattheradio.blogspot.com/

Interesting idea, but opening it up internationally this way might cause it to be more about geographical differences than you intended.

It has a sweet beginning, that blog.

Susan Harwood said...

Dear Sandra

Thank you for your interesting comments on my blog SHOUTING AT THE RADIO.

About international differences . . . and sheds . . . I wasn't sure whether to reply on your blog or mine . . . so I'm doing it on both . . . !

Below is a copy of what I said 'over there'.

, , , , ,

When I began thinking about this blog, I wondered whether it would make sense outside England.

Even within the U.K. approaches to education vary between its constituent countries. The British pre-occupation with energy comsumption isn't shared everywhere. The kind of buildings we have inherited and the kind of architecture we may develop clearly are, and have to be, different - depending on location and climate. I don't even know how many countries away from here have had cellars!

But, having thought about it, rather hesitantly, I dropped a few notes to bloggers around the world.

And I'm glad I did - because here, already, you have left a couple of very interesting comments.

Except for the catch phrase 'There's something nasty in the woodshed' - (from the novel 'Cold Comfort Farm' and which I read so long ago I can no longer remember whether there really was ever anything nasty in there) I have only ever had warm thoughts about sheds.

The thought that a shed might be seen as a place of punishment rather than a place of retreat and work and shelter gives me a kind of horror.

. . . And makes me glad I let you know about this blog - because already you have brought in a different perspective.

Thank you.

Susan